Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Down by the Sally Gardens with Yeats!

12"x 24" Acrylic on canvas

This song interested me because it was written by Yeats, and I generally like his poetry. The lyrics to this song seem different from his poetry, though. They are flowery and indulgent, and about something very obvious. But that's okay. I painted a flowery, indulgent garden in which a removed looking Yeats sits in a wooden chair with his legs crossed. I painted him in grey-tone because I wanted to make him look as if he doesn't belong in the scenery. 

Look at this rough beast!

I did some research on the history of the song so I could find out what the "Sally Gardens" actually look like, but to no avail. They are apparently "on the banks of the river at Ballysadare near Sligo" (thanks Wikipedia!), but who knows what that's supposed to look like. So I made it up. I used this new extra heavy gel medium which was fun because it made the paints all thick and stuff. I don't really like painting "nature", but I did a lot of it with my fingers, so that made it enjoyable. 

SIDE NOTE: Ollie Gilbert's version of "Barbry Allen" was great. Who is this person, anyway? Must find out more...

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! Nice work, good thoughts and comments. Olie Gilbert did have something iof a singing career (folk revival people picked up on her?) But I don't know much beyond the fact that she knew LOTS of songs...and sang them her own way...

    Let's talk about "flowery" in class--and the question of diction in general (in the songs). You bring it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor--please keep your entries up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor--do your blog. Work you show us is good--I want to see it represented here!

    ReplyDelete