Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Things that inspire me: Egon Schiele


I hope no one cares that I am going to make some unrelated posts in here. This is a post dedicated to my favorite artist--Egon Schiele, an expressionist painter who lived from 1890-1918. I want to post some paintings of his that I love.

Brace yourself for creepy, twisted, naked people.


Why I like this painting: (1) Why are the legs and arms pink? (2) The harshly defined black lines, especially on her right elbow (3) The bluish color on the ribs and stomach 

How can I find these things consistently beautiful even if they aren't necessarily meant to be aesthetically pleasing?

This was my desktop background for awhile--total mistake. I would end up staring at it forever and getting nothing done. Please. The skin colors are so strange and amazing. The reds and blues are unrealistic, but they tell me so much about these two people. And I love the perspective on the woman's face.


I don't care about landscapes. They bore me to tears. This landscape is different. It's stylized and there are distinct lines visible in the sunset. One tree is almost bare while the rest are leafy. He paints the sky with the same care and attention he gives to painting skin.

This could go on indefinitely. I'll stop now.

1 comment: